Saturday, January 19, 2008

Working with HEAL Africa

By now, you know that I will be moving to Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to work with HEAL Africa.
I hear some people wonder what the heck a blonde Mexican girl who has been living in Minneapolis, Minnesota has to do with a country all the way on the other side of the world that's at war.
Good question. I'll give it a stab, although there are many dimensions:
Jesus: I must say, he's the example I try to follow. He always went out of his way to hang out with those that were suffering in inconvenient places like leprous colonies and said that to do that is to love. He didn't stop at just hanging out, but gave his life for those he loved- which is all people and nations- and said that to be willing to sacrifice for others is to love. I appreciate that. So he loved me and by doing that, my life belongs to him. Which I guess means that I follow his example- if he loves me, I must love others.
Sustainable Development: Community development, economic development, holistic healing and growth - you could say I'm passionate about that. It started out something like this: an idea during college of helping people for the long-run; three years with the Neighborhood Development Center as a property manager for immigrant small business owners; my friend Harper working with HEAL Africa in the DRC and following the news of the war there for a year and a half; their programs being developed towards the sustainability of the communities there. I'll be working with income generation grants for impoverished and struggling families and widows to provide for their children.
It's Africa!: Last time I asked about Africa, somebody said I had to go visit! I figured, if two weeks or a month, why not a year or two? They also said that if I don't speak fluent French and Swahili, I better get working on them. And that if I want to blend in... it just won't happen, so get used to it!
Who wouldn't want to go to Africa?

4 comments:

Mark said...

I found your blog. Well I guess that is obvious as I am commenting on it. Here is my Africa advice for you. I shared it with Colleen too late.

When you see people coming up to you and you know they are going to ask you for money...just ask them first.

Also, learn how to say "black person" in Swahili. Then as you walk around with people shouting "white person" at you, you can counter with this. Kids in Ghana always thought it was hilarious for some reason. I wasn't there long enough to get over the awkwardness of randomly doing this, thus I never did it to adults as I just couldn't get over the idea of it not being offensive. But yeah, the kids laughed.

Kerby and Cristina said...

You're hilarious! I'll work on my "mtu mweusi!" and pointing at people skills.

Unknown said...

hey cris! this is very exciting news, i am happy that you have this opportunity. praying with you as you serve as an agent of change in congo. excited to hear stories of transformation that God will let you witness. bonne chance, Dieu est avec vous. and so are we.(there, all the french i could muster :) ) -ram

RuthAlton said...

Cristina,
It was great getting together with you at Q Cumbers, and to share the various thoughts that we did, including your question to us.

We read your blog, and like it a lot.

After you become Prime Minister of Congo, we might find it hard to get an audience with you. So we are so glad that we have gotten to know you before that happens. but in the mean time it will be great to continue to keep in touch.
Ruth and Alton