Thursday, January 24, 2008

Of White Persons & Santa Claus

Amidst the advice I've received from people who have been to Africa before, one I am repeatedly warned of is to get used to - no, to embrace - that everyone will stare at me and call me "mzungu," Swahili for "white person."
My friend Brian, who lived in Tanzania with Peace Corps, has the following (enjoyable) theory to explain this habitual point-and-yell-mzungu tradition:

"I have my Santa Claus theory: In the USA, Santa Claus bears gifts but only comes around every now and then. But if Santa walks down the street, you are certain to hear people yelling 'Santa' from far away to say hello to him. Parents will grab their children at point at him. Some very little children will be very scared of Santa and even cry if he comes too close but other kids will dance with joy just because it’s so darn fun to see Santa. And just sometimes if you ask Santa for a gift, he will give you one, but if he doesn’t that’s okay, as long as he says hello and shakes your hand with a big smile and a ho ho ho. Parents will only jokingly play with Santa, but are more likely to send their kids to say hello to Santa and will laugh if their child is too afraid. In an Africa village, white people are treated in very similar ways.

One time, when I was in the village, there was a small boy, about 3 or 4. He got brave and decided to rub the white off my arm. But the white wouldn’t go away, so he asked me: Where’s the black? I said to him, oh, no, that’s my color. Look. See your color? See mine? It’s different. That’s just the way it is. He pondered that a bit and then asked me “Is your blood red?” I swear, people always say color is only skin deep but this kid was really wondering about that. Yes, buddy, my blood is red. I felt like cutting my skin to prove it.

Some day, I want to write a book about race relations in the world and I’m going to title it: “Is your blood red?” in honor of Georgie. Yes, that was his name. I remember now."


So, shall I bring my Mrs. Claus outfit? By the way, Brian, I'll be looking for that title in the bookstores in a couple years!

3 comments:

Mark said...

I had a similar experience with a mom trying to get me to hold her child. The poor boy was absolutely terrified. As she tried to pass him to me he was screaming bloody murder and flailing his arms and legs. It was one of those awkward moments. Do I please the child or the mom? I think the child was happy that he didn't have to be embraced by the white devil.

Colleen said...

Instead of the Santa Clause theory I call it the Britney Spears theory. Seriously, people run after you and shout Mzungu like you are the most famous person in the world. At first - it's thrilling, but by the end of week one you realize why Britney has gone so crazy...

Kerby and Cristina said...

point taken- don't follow Britney's footsteps!